INTIMACY WITH GOD JOURNAL
BY LINDA SCHREURS
ASK FOR 500,000 SOULS
No. That was not the number of people I was speaking to in the above picture! But 500,000 is a number that has a lot of significance to me, which I shall soon explain and explore with you.
I suppose we all have certain numbers or combination of numbers that seem to stand out to us. For instance, a number of years ago, it seemed that everywhere my husband went, he’d see the numbers: 3, 2, 1. He’d see it on an exit ramp, a page number, his watch, or a headline in the newspaper, etc. Those numbers kept coming up so often that when he shared it with a Christian friend, he told Mike that perhaps Revelation 3:21 was something the Lord was trying to convey. And indeed it was! It’s so powerful as it states: “He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.”
How encouraging to know that we have a divine destiny as overcomers in this life! My husband has clung to this verse for a long time now, just as I have, and indeed we all need to do. We have been bought with a great price that we might live the overcoming lifestyle that has been ordained for us as believers in the Lord Jesus. This verse also ties-in to the one the Lord gave me the morning of my long pancreatic cancer surgery when He awoke me with Revelation 12:11, “And they overcame him [the enemy] because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death.”
Numbers are important to the Lord because one of the books in the Bible is called Numbers and is all about numbers. How amazing can that be?
Also, I’m sure the Target boycott has attracted your attention as of late in regard to the transgender bathroom situation. As I began to write this, there were over 500,000 signatures. And ‘No,’ again, I’m not writing about that either. Nevertheless, within a day’s time, that figure has gone up to more than 700,000 and most likely will keep climbing. I salute this gesture with a hearty ‘Amen,’ and am joining this cause as well. The fact of the matter is, if people, especially those who call themselves Christians, would actually read the Bible in its entirety – doing so again and again throughout their lifetimes, they would know truth, and that truth would give them heavenly, godly knowledge that would bring them power and set them free from all kinds of bondages - not the least which is in regard to this boycott involving the LGBT which scripture plainly calls – SIN. God’s Word, written for all of humanity is very plain saying in Leviticus 18:22, in 2:13, and in other places too many to mention here, that this sin is an abomination. Just as a child who does not learn to read is held in bondage and cannot advance much in life, so it is with a child of God. Read God’s Word! It is life and breath to our souls.
With all of that said, my heart is enlivened once again to how amazingly holy, divine, powerful and awesome is our God Almighty. He is from everlasting to everlasting with no beginning and no end. He created the heavens and the earth, the angels, mankind and all that it contains. What amazing glory is in His nature! The scriptures declare that sooner or later, willingly or unwillingly, everything will bow to Him who rules all things. (Phillip. 2:9-10)
On August 4th, 1996 while I had been visiting a possible retreat site on a Sunday afternoon, the Holy Spirit came upon me suddenly. At first I was almost afraid of the change of atmosphere in my car as I’d been driving down the road on a bright sunny afternoon when very suddenly a torrential downpour of rain began to fall over my car. It came out of nowhere, completely unexpectedly. And at the same time, I was overcome with an intense emotion of sobbing uncontrollably. I quickly pulled my car off to the side of the road and put the gear shift in park as tears profusely ran down my face, not knowing at all what was happening! I could see through the windshield that the sun still seemed to be shining, but around my car and perhaps a couple of cars around me, there was an unrelenting downpour of heavy, pounding rain!
Then, just as suddenly – a voice came to me saying, “Ask me for 500,000 new souls for Iowa.” The voice was direct, powerful, and all-consuming. I really didn’t know what to think or do. Then I heard it again, “Ask me for 500,000 new souls for Iowa.” It was then that I realized this was indeed the Lord speaking to me. But I could not comprehend that number, so I weakly responded, “Did you say, 5,000 Lord?” His answer: “No.” Then I asked again, “Did you say 50,000 Lord?” Then, as if to gently correct me, said, “No. Ask Me for 500,000 new souls for Iowa.” Being completely overwhelmed by His Presence, I froze and couldn’t move. It seemed as though I was taken ever so briefly into a different realm. I believe I surely was! It was His realm of glory! It was so heavenly, so powerful, so lovely and pure, so life-changing, that I knew I had to go find a place to drink this in and pray. Just as quickly as the torrential rain came, it left. And I drove off to a reservoir a few miles away.
When I arrived at this place, the Lord also gave me two other parts to this encounter. They were personal and have already come to pass! But this 500,000 was astounding to me, so I asked the Lord to give me something in His Word to confirm this experience. Immediately He said, “Joel 3:14.” I didn’t have my Bible with me that afternoon in the car, so when I got home I quickly looked it up. I was amazed. It says: “Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision for the Day of the Lord is near.” That did it for me! I knew this was something very powerful the Lord was preparing us for – an epic revival for these Final Days of humanity before His return! It’s not just about Iowa, but it’s about the earth’s call to come to Jesus while we still have ‘today.’ Tomorrow is not guaranteed to any one of us. Time is of the essence just as I wrote of a few months ago in one of these Journals.
Your state as well
Because of the magnitude of this vision, I didn’t even share it with my husband for a couple of weeks, as I continued to ponder and pray into it. But now, 20 years later, it has now become the passion of the state of Iowa! When they say the road to the White House begins with the Iowa Caucus, let it now be said that the road to the eternal House of God has begun in the heartland of America as it begins to spread outward to your state as well! An epic move of God is beginning to rumble throughout the land as more and more people become desperate for a change in their lives. Riches nor poverty, fame nor obscurity, sinner or sick in mind, body or spirit – many need more in their lives than the day to day stuff of life that can so often overtake us, or try to take us out before our time. People all around us are hurting with either marital problems, issues with the kids, finances or health. Do we see them? Do we care? What shall be our action in this regard? They need to know there is indeed a SAVIOUR, who can save them from all these trappings of the enemy.
Victory can be achieved, not by any will of our own, except to give ourselves completely to Him who offered His very life for us that we would indeed know the mountain top experiences of life! Let’s pray for the population within our areas of the country. Indeed, prayer moves mountains! In my own journey with cancer these past several years, I can truly testify as I was doing in the picture above, that through the Lord Jesus, we overcome by His blood and the word of our own testimony. [Rev. 12:11] It’s time to testify. Let the world know what He has done for you. An old hymn declares, “What He’s done for others, He’ll do for you. With arms wide open, He’ll pardon you. What He’s done for others, He’ll do for you.” Amen? Of course!
The church has for years prayed for revival. My dear friends, it’s a breath away! Look around you and watch, listen and obey as the Lord shows you hurting souls within your sphere of influence. They need the Savior just as much as you and I did, and do!
- Gen. 32:28-30. Jacob encounters an angel and asks his name. In this passage we learn about the ‘angel of God’s Presence’ which we’re told is the ‘Face of God.’ Let’s ask for this kind of experience to strengthen our faith.
- Deut. 4:32. Ask if anything has been done like this before? God is still in the business of doing BIG BUSINESS with signs, wonders and miracles, doing what only He can do.
Deut. 32:7. “Remember the days of old, consider the years of all generations. Ask your father and he will inform you, your elders, and they will tell you, when the Most High gave the nations their inheritance.” We have the right to cover the earth with the Good News of the Lord Jesus.
- Joshua 4:6, 21. “Let this be a sign among you so that when your children ask later…” Be assured, the Lord loves to bless His children with His mighty works.
- 1 Kings 3:5 [Also 2 Chron. 1:7] “In Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream at night and God said, ‘Ask what you wish me to give you.’” Wow! What would YOU ask? May I encourage you to be bold and ask big! Jeremiah 32:17 declares, “Is anything too hard for the Lord?” No! Nothing on your radar that seems impossible can deflect your faith. You can be confident in God’s Word and His faithfulness. Romans 9:31 & 35 assure us with these strong words: “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?” Absolutely not!
- 2 Kings 2:9. Ask big. Ask for the mantle of Elijah. It is so needed in this hour of humanity.
- Esther 7:2. The king asks this precious woman, “What is your petition?” And he offers her up to half the kingdom. Amazing. I think sometimes we ask too little because we think we are not deserving of much. That’s a lie from the enemy. As a child of God, we have access to God Most High who is well able to do far above what we can ask, think, or even imagine as Eph.3:20-21 tell us. I say, go for it. Ask for the impossible and watch what happens. Be encouraged. Be strengthened. Be expectant.
- Psalm 2:8. “Ask of Me, and I will surely give the nations as your inheritance, and the very ends of the earth as your possession.” That’s a lot of territory that we’re able to claim!
- Isa. 7:10-11, “Ask a sign for yourself from the Lord your God; make it deep as Sheol or high as heaven.” Again, that’s a lot of territory that we can claim. God has given us the authority to rule and reign with Him NOW and forevermore.
Repentance is part of revival
- Isa. 58. Most of this chapter speaks of how we must steward our own hearts in order to get our prayers answered. If we’re living a sinful lifestyle being unrepentant, don’t expect to pray and be heard. But this passage assures us that if indeed we bow in forgiveness and repentance, we “will cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.’” He is not far from any one of us, if we would but reach out and touch Him giving Him full authority over our lives. Far too many people who call themselves Christians are lukewarm and compromising just as we’re told would happen in the Last Days before Jesus returns a second time. Rev. 3:16 is the premise from which I wrote my book: Armageddon Bride. Singularly, Jeremiah Chapter 6 addresses the same issue. Verse 14 is explicit saying: “They have healed the brokenness of My people superficially, saying, ‘Peace, peace,’ but there is no peace.” Verse15 even goes so far as to say they don’t even know how to blush! Sure sounds like our society these days. Jeremiah 30 talks of the sound of terror, of dread and there is no peace stating in Verse 6, “Ask now and see if a male can give birth…” and it goes on about the depravity of mankind and how the Lord wants to SAVE US from all this terror. In this same book of Jeremiah, Chapter 50, we are encouraged to ASK for the way to Zion and be joined to the Lord in an everlasting covenant. Oh how we need true repentance! This will most certainly be a precursor to an epic revival.
The spring rains
In conclusion, I want to encourage you that we are in the springtime of the year where everything is springing forth with new life. What joy to see the green buds on the trees and all the flowers making their way from dormancy. Zechriah 10:1 says, “Ask rain from the Lord at the time of the spring rain…” O Lord, the land of America has been so dry spiritually. We need the dew, the holy mist, the pouring rain of Your fresh, new revival to cover the land. O people, it’s time to cry out for the rain of God’s glory!
May I end with a few scriptures from the New Testament about ‘Ask’? Let’s begin to ASK of God for a revival for 500,000 souls here in Iowa and may hundreds of thousands also come into the Kingdom of God in your state as well. Let’s ASK BIG!
- Matt. 18:19. This is the scripture that tells us that if two or more of us agree, it shall be done for them by our Father in heaven. Do I hear an agreement to this month’s IWG Journal? I think I hear you. Yes and Amen.
- Matt. 21:22, “And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” How awesome is that?!
- Luke 12:48. This assures us that those to whom much has been given, they will be entrusted with even more – and, they can even ask for ALL THE MORE! Precious people of God, keep asking BIG. Don’t ever give up.
- John 11:22. This is the story where Lazarus has died and his sister tells Jesus that she knows that whatever He asks of the Father, it will be given to Him. I can personally attest to this portion of God’s Word having believed that God can do the impossible, even raise the dead. Thus He has used me in this manner at least once so far in my walk with Him. Any one of us has this power through the Lord. More Lord. More!
- John 16:23. We are encouraged by the Lord Jesus to ASK ANYTHING in His Name and we will receive it, that our JOY may be made full. Anyone need some joy in their life? Then look unto Jesus and ask anything that aligns with His will and you will receive it. It’s so simple, even a child can do it. Are we not children of the Lord? Ask big and begin to see how your world changes. John 14:12-15 assure us of this.
- James 4:3 says to ask with right motives. It’s imperative to do a heart check as you go before the Throne of God. 1 John 3:18-22 is similar as it asks us to LOVE one another, and if our hearts do not condemn us, then we can believe our petition will be answered. And indeed we must also ask according to God’s will [not our own] as stated in Chapter 5 of this same book of 1 John, verses 14-15.
So as my wonderful husband says at the completion of a Bible study, “There you have it!” And everyone said, “Amen!” ASK BIG! Be expectant! Have a joyful life in the Lord. It’s your divine inheritance.
Linda’s Books: can be purchased on the website or ordered directly from the address below:
- Armageddon Bride, about true, godly marriage
- Word’s Aptly Spoken, about our prophetic prayer journey to all of Iowa’s 99 counties
- Holy Communion! Holy Invasion! About the new wave of intimacy with God through a new and fresh perspective outside the norms of ritual and tradition
- Linda’s CD: Holy Communion! Holy Invasion! (Spiritually intimate Communion prayers with soft, but powerful background music)
INTIMACY WITH GOD MINISTRIES
Mike and Linda Schreurs, P.O. Box 1294, Johnston, IA. 50131-1294, Phone: 515-270-0231. E-mail: LindaSchreurs@intimacy-with-God.com. Website: www.intimacy-with-God.com
*All gifts tax deductible. *Member of Morning Star Fellowship of Ministries, Charlotte, NC